RSS to me is like shopping for a book, cd, a video game, and some clothes. I might make my way to Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, Gamestop, and JC Penney. It would take a bit longer but eventually I'd find what I was after. This is traditional web surfing in a nut shell. On the other hand I could just go to Walmart where I might be able to find everything on my list under one roof. This is RSS. I may be oversimplifying but you get the idea.
I enjoy browsing the news. My online travels usually take me from CNN to MSNBC to Drudge to Fact Check and many more places. RSS would give me the ability to not only consolidate my news updates into one source but I could further tailor it to the specific portions that I read the most. The all important is, do I want to do that?
It is not a difficult thing to do. Google Reader is pretty easy to figure out. Like anything Google, it is fairly free of clutter and easy to navigate. The convenience is a plus but I find that I do prefer going to CNN and then to Wavy and from there to the Pilot's website. I love variety and I enjoy the hunt for that next fascinating article. If I am spoon-fed my news I'd feel like I was missing something. Sometimes an article catches my eye that is not necessarily in one of the sections I typically peruse. My usual retail sources are much the same thanks to their similar greater selection. The convenience of Walmart is definitely nice but when I hit my stores I more often end up finding what I want.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment